Monday, May 19, 2014

Judgment - Reflection and Rising Up

It feels right that as we wind down our journey with the Major Arcana that it coincides with the home stretch of the school year. Judgment is all about taking some time out for some self reflection. Now this does not mean you should be tallying up scores about things you have done right or wrong. This isn't not about judging yourself in a critical or harsh way. Instead, it is truly about listening to the inner voice inside of you that is trying to awaken you to reaching your full potential and following your true passion and calling.

Throughout our journey with teaching and with the Major Arcana, we have experienced highs and lows. It is easy to get caught up in the day to day drama or to become complacent. But as a teacher and as a human being, it is important to not allow yourself to become stagnant or complacent. Rather, you should allow yourself to opportunity to evolve and live life in a way that truly resonates with your true desires and core values.



Look closely at the card. I am always drawn to the image of the dead rising from their coffins. It reminds me of how sometimes we can become like the living dead - no, not the cool zombies of the apocalypse who are into cannibalism - but just living, breathing people who go about our lives day in and day out feeling numbed out or disconnected. We know there should be more, but something feels missing. We know we could be happier, but we aren't sure how. We question if we are truly fulfilling our life purpose, but we don't try to figure out what that means.

The judgment card is about awakening and fulling engaging with life. Are you doing that?

Even if you are sure that teaching is your life purpose, are you becoming complacent? Are you recycling the same old lesson plans year in and year out without reflecting on what has been successful or not, just because it's easier? When was the last time you took a class or workshop? When was the last time you tried something new?

The judgment card is asking you to take some time to reflect on what you truly enjoy about teaching and to figure out more ways to infuse your passions and interests into your teaching. For example, I am obsessed with studying archetypes, mythology, and the hero's journey. This really resonates on a deep level for me. My school is very supportive of reading with a lens and teaching higher order thinking skills. So this allows me to infuse my love of archetypes into my teaching. We have been studying archetypes this term and applying them to ourselves and to the characters in the novel we are reading. We are also incorporating archetypes into our own short stories. This really energizes me. And when I feel energized and passionate about my subject, my students become more energized and passionate about what they are learning.

Veering away from teaching for a moment, this card is also important in our personal lives. In light of the Tower experience I have had recently, I have been thinking a lot about the Judgment card and what lessons it has for me. I have been deeply evaluating my life - the person I want to be, the direction I want to go in. I feel like I am taking a painful situation and using it to evolve spiritually and emotionally. It has awakened me to how I want to help others who are suffering. Before all of this, I lived in a bubble. Sure, I knew other people suffered, but it was so abstract. I was more caught up in the petty problems and silly stresses of every day life. But now I know what real suffering is and that some people have it even worse. It makes me want to reach out and truly help others. I feel called to learn reiki and other healing modalities. I feel this is part of my life purpose and I am taking steps to follow it. I have also been awakened to past mistakes I've made - times when I took the low road in situations with other people and caused them pain. I am now working to make amends and to truly become a more compassionate and living person.

What do you feel called to do either professionally or personally? Please feel free to share.

All my best,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment