Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Hierophant Spread for Teachers

 So I thought in the spirit of The Hierophant we could dig a little deeper and uncover some important truths about our practice. Hopefully after doing this spread, you will have a good idea of who you could approach to help you on your path as a teacher as well as a good idea of what area you could be of use to others. I would really love to see more give and take in the teaching profession.


What I could stand to learn from other teachers? The Magician
What other teachers could learn from me? The Nine of Cups


So once again the Magician pops up in a spread. This really is a reminder to me that I need to make time to do my video on what it means when the same cards appear in your readings over and over as well as what it means when you receive a lot of Major Arcana cards versus Minor Arcana cards in a reading. 

As I've talked about in previous posts, the Magician is who I strive to be in the classroom as well as in my regular every day life. He is skilled in the art of manifestation. He has the will, desire, and the resources to accomplish his goals. And although I have those things, there is still something he has that I am lacking - the ability to turn the knowledge he has into magic.

In all honesty, I became a teacher because I LOVED being a student. I absolutely loved learning new things. Reading literature and writing analytical papers were things that came naturally to me and I enjoyed doing them. So I figured becoming a teacher would be a logical next step. I didn't understand how different it would be to sit on the other side of the desk. Just because I was good at being a student, didn't mean that would translate to becoming a good teacher. I find it very hard to teach the things that come naturally to me to people that it doesn't come naturally to. I find it difficult to deal with student apathy when I wasn't an apathetic student. But more importantly, and this is where the energy of the Magician comes in, I don't know how to take my knowledge and turn it into fun and exciting lessons.

Part of the problem is that I am an auditory learner, so I really thrived on listening to lectures. I could sit in a class and just listen without taking notes and remember everything for a test. I was taught via lecture and memorization. But education is different today. Teachers aren't allowed to lecture anymore. They need to make the classroom "student-centered" and engage them in active learning and in higher order thinking. I can understand that, but it is a really challenge for me to come up with those kinds of lessons on my own.

So what I need is to find a teacher whose teaching style I admire and to find a way to learn from them. Maybe that person would let me sit in on some of their classes and take notes. Or maybe they would share some lesson plans with me. Or maybe we could meet once a week to share best practices. But either way, I need to find a Magician at my school and learn from that person.

Now as for what other teachers could learn from me, I feel the nine of cups is totally appropriate. It has taken me nine years of teaching, but I have finally learned how to reach a work-life balance and I couldn't be more satisfied. The nine of cups is all about satisfaction and fulfillment on all levels. I feel sorry when I see how stressed my coworkers are. I've been there and I know their struggle. But I have finally mastered my stress to a large degree. This is what I would share with a stressed out colleague:

#1 Don't take it personally when the kids are being...well, kids! It can be annoying and feel personal. But I've really come to accept that kids will be kids and that aren't not doing their homework or class work just to hurt you. They aren't even thinking of you! They are thinking of their crushes, their activities, their friends. You know, all the things we used to focus on when we were kids!

#2 You can't please everybody. There is a lot of pressure to feel like a "perfect teacher." You want to make perfect lessons, get work graded and turned back quickly, have the kids and parents like you, have administration think you're awesome or at least have them off your back, etc. But you know what? Someone is always going to be negative. It comes with the territory. As long as you know in your heart you are giving it your best, feel good about that.

#4 Don't take work home with you. I'm serious! Now that I have two kids under the age of three, and a husband, and a desire to have a life outside of teaching (a life I am entitled to and one that you are entitled to as well), taking work home is simply not an option. This doesn't mean I slack off and become a crappy teacher. Actually, I am more productive than ever because when I am at work I am 100% focused on my work and use every second of my time to the fullest. I don't take breaks, I don't take walks and get to chatting on my free period. I know time is of the essence and I make every second count.

#5 Learn to say no. Sometimes we feel pressured to put more on our plate than we can handle. We feel it would make us look good in the eyes of someone else to run a club, join a committee, participate in a fundraiser, etc. etc. And I did those things when I was single and had more free time and energy. But now that I have a family who also needs my attention, I don't feel bad about saying no when asked to do things that would take time away from my sons.

#6 Learn to ask for help. If you are starting a new unit or teaching a new grade level, don't feel you need to reinvent the wheel. The Hierophant is the reminder to get a mentor and try someone's tried and true methods. So find someone you trust, ask for help and maybe you can even return the favor in some way.

#7 Have an active life outside of teaching. It can't be all about duties all the time. I would be miserable if all I did was teach, raise kids, cook, and clean. We need things that also feed our souls. I do kickboxing 3-4 times a week, I create mixed media art on Saturday and Sunday mornings, I write this blog, and I participate in social media groups. I usually do kundalini yoga once a week as well. A lot of people ask: where do you find the energy??? It doesn't take a lot of energy to do what you love! I don't mind getting up at 5:00am on Saturdays to make art because I enjoy it. I actually feel I have more energy because I make time for my other interests.

#8 Make self care a priority. Many of you are also spouses and/or parents. It can be hard to put yourself first, especially when you are a teacher. But you need to make sure you get enough rest, eat healthy, make time for exercise, and give yourself some down time to veg out with a little meditation or a tv show or a good book! You deserve it and your family will thank you for it!

#8 Exercise gratitude. I have made it a daily practice to express gratitude. I write down at least three things I am grateful for every day. It really helps to put things in perspective when things aren't going well and it helps to give me an extra boost of love when things are going well. You will really see a big difference when you take joy in the small things in life.

#9 Be friendly and smile at others. When I was in a bad place in my life I was very unfriendly, complained a lot, didn't make eye contact with others, didn't say good morning. I just had a dark cloud hanging over my head. But I read in Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project that you should "act how you want to feel." So when I act more happy, friendly, and outgoing, I FEEL those things.

#10 Find what works for you. Everybody can give you advice, but only you know what will truly make you happy. For me, having a work-life balance that includes time for my passions as well as my spirituality is what makes me happy. Maybe for you it is coaching a team or taking a cooking class or whatever. Also figure out how you can improve your situation at work. Can you find a system that will help you be more organized or will help you with time management?  Find what works and stick with it until it becomes a habit!

So I hope you found this post helpful. I would love to know what areas in teaching that you could be a mentor or could use a mentor. Please feel free to share.

All my best,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment