Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Strength Spread for Teachers

I think this is a particularly helpful spread when you are feeling weak. Maybe things haven't been going well - some students aren't doing their work or are failing assessments or there are just too many people socializing in your class. Maybe you are bombarded with paper work or struggling to revise a unit that isn't going as smoothly as you had thought it might. Maybe you are dealing with a difficult parent or just feeling disrespected and undervalued by administrators or colleagues. Whatever the case may be, you need to try to get off the pity pot and tap into your strength. You need to find the courage and insight to overcome whatever obstacles are in your way. You could use this spread for a multitude of situations - parenting, relationships, friendships, creative endeavors, etc. So let's take a look at what came up when I did this reading for myself.


What area in my teaching needs the strength of a lion? The World
What area in my teaching needs the strength of the maiden? The Seven of Wands
What is my key strength that I bring to the profession? The Ace of Swords



When it comes to the World card, I need to become more assertive and courageous when it comes to leadership opportunities. The World card traditional means integration, accomplishment, wholeness, and success. When I look at the lady dancing in the middle of the card it makes me think of a recital performance. This woman has worked very hard and has rehearsed her dance many times and now it is her moment to shine in the spotlight. Although the World card is a positive card, I really struggle with what it represents. This card is asking me to step up and put my knowledge on display. I was asked this week to lead a workshop next month on "Checking for Understanding - Formative Assessments." As much as I am flattered to be asked and offered this opportunity, I feel a ton of resistance to it.  I am extremely uncomfortable presenting to adults. I fear being judged or criticized. I worry they won't like how I present or what I present. But I also know that I have been working hard for the past nine years to improve my craft and now it's time to share what I've learned with others. The World card also represents sharing your gifts with others. So it's time for me to tap into the strength of a lion and face this with courage and pride. I accepted the opportunity and I will not let fear rule me.

When it comes to the Seven of Wands, I need to be more compassionate, patient, and nurturing when it comes to my relationship with my students. At this point, I feel like the figure with the rod fighting against a group of others coming at me full force. I feel defensive and would love to lash out. I am getting really pissed off because I feel disrespected. I know I shouldn't take it personally when they don't do their work or fail quizzes, but sometimes it's hard not to. So the maiden in the picture is reminding me that I need to get in touch with my quiet inner strength and find a creative and less attacking way to solve my problems. If I'm honest, things have not be fun in my classroom. I have been focused so much on trying to get them up to speed with their reading comprehension that all of the joy of learning has just flown out the window. It may be time to figure out some fun ways to connect with the book - something interactive, maybe something artistic, or maybe something that  involves movement. So I think when things get tense between me and the students it is time to tap into that understanding and compassionate strength of the maiden and remember that they are only kids and to try to see things from their point of view - a key theme in To Kill a Mockingbird, I might add.

One of my special strengths that I bring to my teaching is the Ace of Swords. This makes sense to me because I see what needs to be done and I do it. I know my subject very well and have the mental clarity it takes to put a unit together. At this point in my career, I have found the strategies that work well and I implement them to the best of my ability. And I must be doing something right since my standardized tests results are in the top 5 in the state and my personal percentages jumped 10 points in just one year! So I really need to stop selling myself short and remember that I am very good at seeing what skills my students need to improve and implement ways of helping them achieve success. I am very good at brainstorming new ideas and being innovative.

Wow, this spread has actually made me feel so much better. I highly recommend giving it a try. It is definitely important to reflect on what your strengths are and to not let yourself lose sight of them!

All my best,

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment