Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Devil Spread for Teachers

What fears, habits, or negative thought patterns are preventing me from being the teacher I want to be? Trust (The Fool)
What do I need to do to overcome this problem? Awaiting Results (7 of Pentacles)


One of the major things that prevents me from being the teacher I want to be is my unwillingness to trust myself and to have faith in my abilities. I am not a risk taker and often stay in bad situations because I am so afraid of the unknown. But this is holding me back in many ways. I have been teaching for nine years and seven of those years have been spent teaching 8th grade. I have been offered the opportunity to teach 11th or 12th graders, but I fear being unsuccessful with upper class men because teaching middle school students is all I know. On top of that, I have also had other big ideas that I have wanted to try in my 8th grade classes, but I fear the repercussions of those potential actions. I would love to have crystals in my classroom and I would love to do 5 minute yoga/meditation activities with my students to either calm them or energize them depending on the situation. I don't know why I fear trying new things in my classroom, but I definitely need to get over it.

The 7 of Pentacles is a reminder that I should trust myself because I do have a clear vision for what I want for my students.The 7 of pentacles represents my ability to see the bigger picture and the fact that I have been planting seeds for many years that I need to allow to bloom. Over the years I have developed a curriculum map, essential questions, objectives, and authentic assessments to have my classes run effectively and efficiently. I use backwards design when planning my units and every year I take professional development courses to keep my teaching fresh. I have to start giving myself credit for the hard work that I have put in these past nine years and understand that results can take a long time to show up. The 7 of Pentacles is a metaphor of all the work I have been doing up to this point. I have planted the seeds, watered them, and nurtured them and now I just need to wait patiently for the results to blossom. But in the meantime, I need to start taking some risks and trying some new things along the way.

I hope you find this spread helpful.

All my best,

Amy

1 comment:

  1. I worked in child care for many years and I used to worry about making changes to routines and programme planning...I got backlash from other staff members but the kids and parents appreciated my efforts, especially the relaxation music during rest time...you sound as though you know where your strengths are and where you wish to go in your career ...

    ...:)...
    blessings

    ReplyDelete